Albany is the capital of the State of New York. Albany is located 136 miles north of New York City. Albany has close ties with the nearby cities of Troy, Schenectady, and Saratoga Springs, forming a region called the Capital District. This area makes up the bulk of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) with a population of 850,957, making it the fourth largest urban area in New York State, and the 56th largest MSA in the United States.
Albany is the fourth oldest city and the second oldest state capital in the United States.
The economy is heavily dependent on the state government, with much of Albany's population being employed by various state departments and legislators. Albany is increasingly seen as a leader in nanotechnology, with the University at Albany's nanotechnology program seen as a national leader. The city is at the center of a 19-county region in eastern New York state branded as "Tech Valley" for the growing number of companies, entrepreneurs and research facilities focusing on high-tech industries such as nanotechnology, biotechnology, homeland security, information technology and alternative energy. Chipmaker AMD's spinoff, The Foundry Co., is building a 4.6 billion dollar chip manufacturing complex in nearby Malta, NY.
As of the census of 2000, there were 95,658 people, 40,709 households, and 18,400 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,474.6/sq mi. There were 45,288 housing units at an average density of 2,118.4/sq mi.
The median value of Albany Homes is $175,800. The median age of Albany, NY, real estate is 63 years.
- Forbes ranked Albany the 18th best place to live and do business. (2006)
- Forbes ranked Albany the 30th best place for work. (2006)
- Forbes ranked Albany the 6th best housing market in the US. (2007)
- Address: City Hall, 24 Eagle Street, Albany, NY 12207
- Web Site: http://www.albany.org
- School District(s): Albany City School District
- Recreational facilities: Washington Park, Lincoln Park, Albany Riverfront Park at the Corning Preserve
- Albany Homes For Sale
- Sell Your Albany, NY home
- Albany NY Real Estate Foreclosure Listings
Albany, NY News
- Cat in Albany Is Outfoxing New York City’s Mouse
posted on March 4th, 2014
- Downtown Albany poised for more housing, but property taxes a big obstacle
posted on March 5th, 2014
- In Albany, a rare feat for MTI: Profit
posted on March 7th, 2014
- AP-BKC--Albany (NY)-Stony Brook Box, BKC
posted on March 2nd, 2014
- Oil Tank Cars Derail near Albany NY
posted on March 4th, 2014